Getting your Community Sponsorship Group started
Getting Started for New Sponsors
Getting involved in Community Sponsorship can seem complicated at first. Don’t panic – it’s easier than it looks. Below we have set out a step-by-step overview of the Community Sponsorship ‘journey’ and some useful documents for anyone who is interested in forming or joining a community sponsorship group in their community.
The Community Sponsorship Journey
Every sponsorship journey is slightly different. However, there are some common features across all sponsorship groups and families’ experiences. We have distilled these into a series of steps that will hopefully give you a sense of what is involved. You can find more details on each of these steps here.
- Read around and get in touch with your local Regional Support Organisation (e.g. Nasc for Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Wexford, Laois, Carlow and Kilkenny).
- Form your group.
- Register and meet with your local Regional Support Organisation.
- Submit your initial application form.
- Set up a bank account and start fundraising.
- Begin training (ongoing through preparation period).
- Fulfil group safeguarding requirements.
- Make preparations for a family’s arrival and complete settlement plan.
- Find a house suitable for a family.
- Submit your final application.
- Once the application is approved make final preparations and make contact with the family you are matched with.
- Welcome and support the family
For further information, we recommend reading our Introductory Manual which includes tips on fundraising, gathering as a group and more. Community Sponsorship Ireland have also published a useful guide - Guidance for Prospective Sponsors - which gives good broad overview of the Community Sponsorship Programme in Ireland.
If you still have questions or if would like to proceed with your application to become a group, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
You can contact Nael Saoud or Maria Bateson, Nasc’s Community Sponsorship Project Workers at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
For groups who have already formed and met with Nasc, you can access the initial application form here.