Recruiting: Legal & Information Officer
Nasc (the Irish word for ‘link’) is an NGO and registered charity based in Cork City. Nasc works with migrants and refugees to advocate and lead for change within Ireland’s immigration and protection systems.
We are seeking a Legal & Information Officer. The successful applicant will join our busy Legal & Information service that supports over 1000 clients annually. The role will involve providing information and advice to clients on immigration & international protection law and advocating for clients with the Immigration Service and other public bodies such as local authorities and the Department of Social Protection. The Legal & Information Officer will work at our office at 34 Paul Street, Cork City and from time to time at outreach clinics at direct provision centres and other locations.
The contract will be a fixed term contract for a period of 18 months and the salary is €35,000. This is a full time position.
Applicants must also be committed to working with immigrant, refugee and ethnic minority communities and seeking positive change for our client-base in Ireland.
- A third level degree in law or other degree with legal & human rights modules;
- A minimum of 1 year’s experience of working with clients in provision of information, carrying out advocacy work or similar;
- Knowledge of Irish immigration and protection law;
- Experience of working in a busy office environment & adhering to tight deadlines;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills (including the ability to communicate sensitively with vulnerable clients);
- Be able to work under supervision and on their own;
- Be a committed, flexible team player and have experience working as part of a team;
- Excellent computer skills (including typing skills);
- Permission to work in Ireland.
- Experience working in a similar organisation preferably working with immigration, protection or human rights law;
- Experience managing his/her own case load;
- Experience drafting legal submissions;
- Fluency in a second language;
- A full driving license and access to a vehicle for work purposes:
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter to Julie O’Leary, Legal Service Manager, email address: email@example.com. Please indicate when you would be available to take up the position.
Closing date is Friday the 11th of June. Interviews are expected to be held on Wednesday the 16th of June.
Applications received after this time cannot be considered. Only those applications shortlisted will receive any further notification. While we will endeavour to be flexible, those not available for interview cannot be guaranteed an alternative date to that offered.
This post is supported by the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration & Youth through the Migrant Integration Policy and Inclusion Unit, and also by the European Commission under the Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund which is supported by the Department of Justice.