We are recruiting a Community Sponsorship Officer
Nasc the Migrant and Refugee Rights Centre is recruiting a Community Sponsorship Officer to assist in the expansion of our Community Sponsorship Programme in the following counties: Waterford, Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny, and Laois.
Salary: €36,000 p/a
Duration: 2 Year Fixed Term Contract
Nasc (the Irish word for ‘link’) is an NGO and registered charity based in Cork City. Nasc works with migrants and refugees to advocate and lead for change within Ireland’s immigration and protection systems.
Community Sponsorship is a distinct strand of the Irish Government’s refugee resettlement programme which seeks to support Irish community groups to sponsor refugee families to resettle directly in their local communities. Nasc are currently working with a number of communities in the Cork and Kerry region who have, or who are, preparing to resettle refugee families. We are now expanding that work to Waterford, Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny and Laois. The successful candidate will work in cooperation with the Cork-Kerry Community Sponsorship Worker.
The Community Sponsorship Officer will be required to develop the Community Sponsorship programme in the South-East region of Ireland and to recruit and support communities to sponsor refugees to resettle in their communities. This post will be predominantly remote-working based however the post-holder will be required to regularly travel to Nasc’s office in Cork City. This post is part of the Irish Refugee Protection Programme, a programme of the Department of Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth.
The successful candidate will be an experienced Community Worker. They will have a good understanding of the Irish social protection system and will have excellent communication skills as well as experience of delivering training to community groups. A background in, and experience of, supporting refugees or people seeking international protection is desirable.
The post-holder will be required to recruit, support, train and guide communities throughout the sponsorship process.
- The introduction and promotion of the programme to communities in the counties of Waterford, Wexford, Carlow Kilkenny, and Laois.
- Support communities throughout the application process to become official sponsorship groups.
- Prepare communities for all aspects of the sponsorship and resettlement process.
- Build and maintain constructive working relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders including local communities, NGOs, INGOs, civil society bodies and public and government officials.
- Provide ongoing support to communities from the outset and throughout the sponsorship process.
- Assist in the resolution of any issues or dispute that may arise in the sponsorship process.
- Contribute to the monitoring and evaluation of the programme.
- Participate and contribute to any meetings, information or training workshops, reports, evaluations and networking activities.
- Support research and learning from other jurisdictions including participating and input into a transnational European Union project on community sponsorship.
- Adhere in full to all of Nasc’s policies and procedures.
The post-holder will meet the following criteria for the post:
- Excellent communications skills with demonstrable experience of verbal and written communication in English with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Two years Community Work experience.
- Demonstrable experience of preparing and delivering capacity building training to community groups.
- Community Work /Social Science Qualification or equivalent.
- Excellent IT skills including knowledge and use of Word, Excel and case management tools, and experience with using video conferencing platforms (eg Zoom/Microsoft Teams etc).
- Excellent organisational skills with proven ability to maintain detailed records.
- Full driver’s licence and access to a car.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Flexible, innovative and adaptable.
- Self-starter with ability to work autonomously and on own initiative.
- A background and experience of supporting refugees or people seeking international protection.
- Knowledge of, or links to, community networks in the South-East region.
- Fluency in another language, especially Arabic, desirable but not essential.
We particularly welcome applications from people from a migrant, refugee or ethnic minority background. Nasc is an equal opportunities employer.
- Application is by CV and coverletter. Applications by email only to Fiona Finn at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The cover letter must clearly address the person specification outlined above. Only applications addressing the person specification will be considered. Applicants should give examples of how their experience meets the points listed in the Person Specification.
- The phrase ‘Community Sponsorship Officer’ must be inserted into the email subject matter line.
- The deadline for receipt of applications is Friday 19 March 2021 at 5.00PM. Late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- Shortlisted applicants will be called for interview.